Monday, June 22, 2015

Knitting backwards.


Ernest Hemmingway said "There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." He also said "All you have to do is write one sentence. Write the truest sentence you know." Margaret Atwood said "A word after a word is power." "I didn't come to write my heart out. I came to write it in" says Andrea Gibson.

I sat at the table, typing, and crying. Suddenly effort eased and the story flowed. Before I could realize what was happening, out from my fingertips came one giant aha. It loomed before me like a Genie fresh from the lamp. Amazed, suspended, I admired its obvious size and remarked that it could have hidden for so long. Tears stung my eyes. A moment of silence passed in grief and awe; mourning what I lost, honoring that I lived to loose it. And then I continued.

I was telling the story of my grandmother. I was talking about the granny square blanket. I've been trying to find the words for this story for years. And now, they were here.

And then the fire alarm, storming through the silence. Rude. Not great timing.

You say, "But its probably nothing..." while you pull on pants and try to find your bra. "Should I just wait it out?" as you pull one cat from under the couch, the other one collapsing in panic as you approach, and stuff them into their carrier. I picked up my money and thought "nah" I reached for my project bag, but said "This will be over in two minutes" I paused at the door and thought "Do I need my water bottle? I don't have enough hands anyway", and left.

The moral of the story? Always bring your water bottle and craft work! Always have two bucks on you!
We were locked out for three hours. A sprinkler in someones apartment burst. A random accident that probably isn't so random when you take a look at all the plumbing problems we have in this building. So in addition to your water bottle and two dollars, make sure you have renters insurance (although, probably, there go you're two dollars).

It wasn't so bad. In fact, it was a little like show and tell; neighbors showed off their babies and introduced their pets. Bebe the Lhasa Apso with one eye, the crate full of rats, a cat named Agnes wrapped in a towel.

I was hungry. I hadn't noticed how hungry I'd become. When finally home I decided I needed to make the easiest thing possible. I made a one pot wonder (with a side skillet of salmon). The only thing I did different was sugar snap peas sliced instead of regular peas, and no cream- instead olive oil + butter with just regular ol' white cheddar.


Wow. What a meal. It was so beautiful, so delicious, such honest comfort food. I was so satisfied.

In addition to writing my heart out (writing my heart in) I was blocking my completed granny squares, preparing them for their up coming photo shoot and internet debut. And here's how that went



Successive levels of dishevelment. I am proud of them for taking turns though.

Tomorrow I return to school. I wasn't sure I'd go back for the summer, because enrolling now meant paying out of pocket, which made me rave in bitterness. I frequently forget to be grateful; we have the money for me to do this, thanks to my nifty budgeting. Also, education is so precious, a privilege denied many. I should never be anything but grateful.

Learning the response of gratitude is not unlike undoing a yarn project. You make a mistake, you learn to knit backwards, and you try again.

Thank you for reading.
-A.H.




No comments:

Post a Comment