Sunday, July 28, 2013

Day 1; first attempt at Kava

This weekend has been a lazy one, full of easy laying around. I've got a jump start on my knitting, found some good books to read, and went grocery shopping for the week. In an hour or so some friends of ours are coming over and we will be bbqueing it up in the back yard with gluten free brownies to follow.

This morning I started the day off with yogurt, which only proved to myself that dairy is not a good option for me right now. So instead I made myself a sauteed yumminess of two kale leaves, to collard leaves, some onions and garlic. The strong flavor of these two leafy greens was a great way to get the day started. Not only are dark leafy greens high in iron and fiber, but they're also great sources of protein and omega three fatty acids. Check out this link here  for other great facts about Kale. This would be great with some potatoes or tofu too.

For lunch I had an amazing salad that my husband made. Full of all things good it had radishes, onions, avocado (<3) cucumber, sunflower seeds and garbanzo beans. Tearing the leaves and muddling them with your hands is a great way to make your dish easier to digest. In addition, it also releases the vitamins and antioxidants, making them more readily available to your system.


He makes the best salads.

I'm pretty undecided when it comes to medications of any kind, especially the psychological kind. While I recognize their merit and don't argue with their necessity in some cases, its hard to ignore the fact that they're prescribed all to often and in cases where other methods can be used. As my case worsens I haven't ruled out medication. I also started looking up medical marijuana (I've never smoked before and it doesn't seem like the best option. It makes you paranoid right? How will that help my anxiety? I'd love anyone's input on this.). But I decided to start with Kava.

And by decided, I mean my husband made me pinky swear that I would try it. So I did. For the first time today, after filling my browsers tabs with articles on how to use it and who should use it, its history, and its various forms. Kava comes to us from the Pacific Islands and is used as traditionally as a celebratory drink, not unlike wine in other parts of the world. Its also prescribed in cases of anxiety, insomnia, and physical pain. The only real concern with Kava is Liver damage, though that has been largely debunked, thought to be caused by a manufacturer which used the poisonous tops of the plant. Even so it would probably be best to consult a physician first. I didn't. So whatever.

The brand I use is Herb Pharm and it comes as a tincture. The recommended dosage is 30-40 drops but I thought started off with just 15, to be on the safe side. I took it fairly soon after eating that salad and then we went for a walk. I felt a little dizzy, or just light, like I was taller than I really was, like a shadow must feel like when it stretches long across the sidewalk in the late evening. I was super relaxed and needed to lay down in the quiet. Its been a little over an hour and I still feel very relaxed, especially behind my eyes. 

Time will tell if Kava helps in a big way for me. Taking something that I have to lay down afterwards isn't really functional for me, but maybe its just a matter of getting used to it. Also it tastes terrible. I mean...really terrible. And it makes your mouth numb (just the tip of my tongue, which is my favorite part). Anyways. Right now I feel good, focused, and relaxed. So winning all around.

Time to get this bbq underway!!

No comments:

Post a Comment